Celebrate International Plastic Bag Free Day at Tribes Inspiring Workplaces
At Tribes we celebrate International Plastic Bag Free Day.
International Plastic Bag Free Day is celebrated on July 3rd every year to create awareness about the dangers of using plastic. Let’s encourage others to use eco-friendly bags.
Shocking facts about the plastic pollution:
National Geographic highlights 10 shocking facts about how plastic pollution is affecting our planet:
- More than 5 trillion pieces of plastic are already floating in our oceans.
- Worldwide, 73 percent of beach litter is plastic: filters from cigarette butts, bottles, bottle caps, food wrappers, grocery bags, and polystyrene containers.
- World plastic production has increased exponentially from 2.1 million tonnes in 1950 to 147 million in 1993 to 406 million by 2015.
- By 2050, virtually every seabird species on the planet will be eating plastic.
- As of 2015, more than 6.3 billion tonnes of plastic waste had been generated. Around 9 percent of that was recycled, 12 percent was incinerated, and 79 percent accumulated in landfills or environment.
- Around the world, nearly a million plastic beverage bottles are sold every minute.
- Estimates for how long plastic endures range from 450 years to forever.
- The largest market for plastics today is packaging materials. That rubbish now accounts for nearly half of all plastic waste generated globally—most of it never gets recycled or incinerated.
- Some 700 species of marine animals have been reported so far to have eaten or become entangled in plastic.
- More than 40 percent of plastic is used just once, then tossed.
What can we all do on a plastic bag free day?
We can help by removing those plastic bags from our lives. We can be an example for others by bringing reusable bags to the stores. Let’s share this awareness in our Whatsapp groups and Social Media Channels.
“Climate change is not only a threat, it is, above all, an opportunity to create a healthier, greener, and cleaner planet which will benefit all of us. We must seize this opportunity.”